Thursday, June 30, 2011

Hand-Wiring a 32x to a Genesis1

First of all, it's been a while. I haven't made a blog post in 5 months O_O. It's not that I quit, I just haven't done anything blog-worthy as of late. I originally wasn't going to post this one either since it's pretty simple to do, but I figured 5 months of silence was long enough ;).

Now, on to the post. I recently got my hands on a "High Definition Graphics" model 1 Genesis, these are better than the normal model 1 and model 2 as they have better sound quality. But I had a problem, I wanted a 32x attached to it if I was going to use it as my main Genesis, but I didn't have the cable that converts the 32x A/V patch cable to work with the Genny1. I checked eBay, and the official ones are EXPENSIVE, like $25 expensive, for a small ~3 inch converter cable...

I wasn't about to pay $25 for a little converter cable, so I started researching. I found a tut on making your own cable, but I wasn't about to buy something just to hack it up. But they did have a few pinout pics that were useful.

By connecting red, blue, green, and sync from Genny1 to 32x using my solid wires, I was able to get it working. The wires I used were just wide enough to act as pins on the 32x, but I had to bend the Genny1 end over twice to fit good enough.

After this, I tested it out and it worked beautifully... except sound ~_~. I tried to connect sound in the same way I did the others, by wiring mono audio from the Genny1 to left audio on 32x, but it didn't work. I also tried wiring it to right audio on 32x, but it still wouldn't work (now that I notice it, I should have tried the mono audio in on the 32x, but I didn't see it when working on it :P). This was a problem since I only had a RF adapter for my Genesisss (Genesies? Genesi? >_>). The only other way I could think to get audio is to use the headphone port on the front of the Genny1, but I didn't have a good way of wiring that audio to work with my RF video.

My solution? Why, wiring a composite video out on the 32x of course xD. After I got the video working, I used a bunch of adapters I had lying around to go from 3.5mm headphone audio to 2x RCA audio and connected it to my A/V switchbox. Composite video is nice :P.

The finished product.



You'd never know all those wires were there :D

2 comments:

  1. Just use an emulator, your time is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah, if I didn't want to do it, I'd have just used my Genny2 + 32x + SegaCD (that doesn't read discs...). I didn't have anything else better to do at the time anyway :P

    ReplyDelete